- What Is The Best 3000 Watt Generator?
- 3-5 Key Components to a 3000-watt Generator
- 6 Key Considerations when Buying a 3000-Watt Inverter Generator
- Overall Best 3000-Watt Generator in 2020
- 6 More Top Rated 3000-watt Inverter Generator:
- DuroStar DS4000S, 3300 Running Watts/4000 Starting Watts, Gas Powered Portable Generator
- Champion 3500-Watt RV Ready Portable Generator (EPA)
- WEN 56380i Super Quiet 3800-Watt Portable Inverter Generator with Fuel Shut-Off and Electric Start
- Briggs & Stratton 30545 P3000 PowerSmart Series Portable 3000-Watt Inverter Generator with (4) 120-Volt AC Outlets and (1) 12-Volt DC Outlet
- Honda Super Quiet Gasoline Portable Generator with Inverter (EU3000IS1A 3000Watt Electric Start Inverter)
- Firman P03601 4550/3650 Watt Recoil Start Gas Portable Generator cETL Certified, Black
- Our 2020 3000-Watt Generator Buying Guide
If you are a fan of camping and being on-the-go and require electricity to run appliances, electronics, and tools, you will require the convenience and power of a 3000-watt portable generator. If you are not a fan of camping and cannot imagine life without the convenience of power, you will want to keep a generator at home in the case of a power outage – this will power your appliances like your refrigerator to keep your food from spoiling and can also keep your home cool or warm, depending on the season.
Most people like to have a generator on hand, especially if they live in areas where bad storms hit and power outages are highly expected. This way, they can remain connected, warm, and comfortable until the storm passes. There are many different reasons why a portable generator can come in handy and if you are in the market for one, starting the search may feel overwhelming. This guide focuses on 3000-watt portable generators, their uses and features, and lists options from really-affordable to more pricy options.
What Is The Best 3000 Watt Generator?
- Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator
- Honda Super Quiet Gasoline Portable Generator with Inverter
- Firman P03607 4550/3650 Watt Recoil Start Gas Portable Generator
- DuroStar DS4000S, 3300 Running Watts/4000 Starting Watts
- Champion 3500-Watt RV Ready Portable Generator (EPA)
- WEN 56380i Super Quiet 3800-Watt Portable Inverter Generator
- Briggs & Stratton 30545 P3000 PowerSmart Series Portable 3000-Watt
- Honda Super Quiet Gasoline Portable Generator with Inverter
- Firman P03601 4550/3650 Watt Recoil Start Gas Portable Generator
3-5 Key Components to a 3000-watt Generator
- Engine Power – Consider how you will be using your 3000-watt generator by looking at the amount of power your appliances and other devices will require and if they will be fully satisfied by the power delivered by this type of generator.
- Maximum Wattage Output – Note that there is a difference between starting and running wattage. Your starting wattage will be higher because your generator requires extra power to start up; however, once running, it will continue in a sustained fashion at a lower wattage output.
- Fuel Capacity – Take a look at the fuel capacity and how much run time you can get working from a full tank. Your fuel is what will be powering your engine – be sure to review the specs of each product to determine just how much fuel you will need and how many hours of power it will buy you.
- Run Time – Some models will have a longer runtime; however, it is up to you to determine if you only need 10 hours of power or if you will want full days of power. You may choose to be out in the wild intentionally enjoying nature or tucked away at home dealing with an inconvenient power outage.
- Noise – Many of the models listed below are certified by the USDA Forest Service because of how quiet their engines are. Some models run so quietly; they cannot be heard over regular conversation. This is one of the huge benefits of using a portable inverter generator.
6 Key Considerations when Buying a 3000-Watt Inverter Generator
- How Much Power Do You Need? When searching through the list of available 3000-watt inverter generators, be sure that the appliances and electronics you will want to power will be covered by the wattage output of this specific type of portable generator.
- Consider Available Features – You will definitely require multiple outlets so be sure your choice has at least four different options so the wattage is spread out among multiple channels. Also consider a console that can be removed to keep extension cords from creating unnecessary risk by running through the outdoors. Check out the fuel gauge as well since during power outages, you will benefit from knowing just where your fuel level is. Determine if your generator can only run on gasoline or if, perhaps, it can be run off a propane tank. There are also features like a push-button to start which becomes a convenient lifesaver during moments when you might be scrambling to get power.
- Use a Transfer Switch – Transfer switches connect your portable generator to a circuit panel using only one cable. Without a transfer switch, you could be creating unnecessary risk, including fried appliances and a damaged generator. A damaged generator will fail to serve its purpose so be sure to safeguard your purchase with a transfer switch.
- Identify Your Budget – As you go through the list of products below, you will find that the prices range from just a couple hundred dollars to over two-thousand dollars. Knowing exactly what you will be using your generator for will help you decide which model to invest in. Consider your options carefully to purchase the generator that will serve your precise needs.
- Consider Warranties and Accessories – As you read through product specs, look for any available warranties and lifetime technical support. Is there a maintenance package that you could maybe purchase? How about accessories? Does your generator come alone or does the total cost include oil, wheels, a funnel, and power cord? Check out how much you are getting and calculate that into the total value you are receiving for your purchase.
- Safety, Safety, Safety! – This is the most important consideration when purchasing a 3000-watt inverter generator – you must know how to use it. Most people throw owner’s manuals into the trash or that dreaded “stash pile” in the kitchen but reading through your owner’s manual will help you familiarize yourself with the product so you are well-equipped to use it when the time comes.
Always remember that generators are never to be run indoors. Carbon monoxide poisoning kills quickly and quietly. Remember not to overfill your tanks, keep your generator on level ground, and make sure not to overload the generator. Always keep the owner’s manual nearby so you have a quick reference guide as you work through the operation of your inverter generator.
Overall Best 3000-Watt Generator in 2020
- Dual fuel option: gasoline or propane
- 3-Position ignition switch
- Nearly noiseless operation
- Clean power for sensitive electronics
Overall Best 3000-Watt Generator – This Champion 3400-watt portable generator is RV-ready with a dual fuel option: you can choose to run it on gasoline or run it on propane. It is ultra-quiet, extremely light for carrying comfort, and you can take it anywhere you go. It has a push-button electric start which makes it super simple to use and includes a smart charger for the included battery.
Need more power? This generator is parallel ready so just hook it up with another Champion inverter to increase your power output. A full tank of gas will give you a run time of 7.5 hours and a full propane tank (propane hose included) will give you 14.4 hours of run time. With this quieter model, you also save on fuel and your engine lasts longer, meaning it’s a more cost-effective option.
- Includes 3-year limited warranty
- Free lifetime technical support
- Dual fuel option
- Clean power
- Does not include an oil drain hose
Honda Super Quiet Gasoline Portable Generator with Inverter (EU3000IS1A 3000Watt Electric Start Inverter)
- Electric and pull start available
- 3000-watts, 120-volts
- Very quiet model
- Fuel efficient – 3.4 gallons of gas gives you up to 20 hours of use
- Inverter provides sustained power
Best (Quietest) 3000-watt Generator – This Honda portable generator with inverter is a great, super quiet, choice for powering RVs, AC units, and even as a basic home backup unit. If you love to go out camping, your fellow companions will rest quietly because this generator barely makes a sound. The electric start makes it convenient and its fuel efficiency gives you almost an entire day’s power off 3.4 gallons of fuel.
The inverter technology is advanced, which provides sustained power in a compact, light package that will keep your laptops and other sensitive equipment running reliably. More power can be obtained easily by adding a second, identical unit with an optional cable.
- Extremely fuel efficient
- Capable of additional power with an added unit
- Advanced inverter technology
- Price point higher than other products
- 4550 surge watts/3650 running watts
- 5-gallon tank allows for 14 hours of run time
- Spark arrester is USDA Forest Service certified
- 3-year manufacturer’s warranty included
Best Budget-Friendly 3000-watt Generator – This CARB certified generator is gas-powered and portable with a recoil start that is easy to use, even if your hands are covered in gloves. The engine runs efficiently and keeps cool throughout use. The muffler runs at a very quiet 68 decibels and the tubular roll cage frame is designed to last.
There are several accessories included with your purchase, including oil, shipping bracket wrenches, a funnel, spark plug wrench, and a manual. All you need to do is add gasoline to take this generator on adventures or trust that it will see you through a winter storm when caught at home without power.
- Perfect for work sites, camping, and emergency power
- USDA Forest Service certified
- Manufacturer’s warranty
- Affordable compared to other models
- Weighs a total of 110 lbs. and requires wheels for improved mobility
6 More Top Rated 3000-watt Inverter Generator:
This DuroStar portable generator is powered by gasoline, includes an air-cooled OHV engine, and has a low oil shutoff. The 4000 watts are available from the start and eventually settle into 3300 watts that can power heavy duty tools and high-voltage appliances. The power panel has several available outlet options so all your different applications have a place to receive power from. Traveling across the U.S.? This portable generator is perfect because it is EPA and CARB approved throughout the United States.
This Champion portable generator has a 3.8 gas tank and comes with a low-oil sensor that shuts off your engine with your safety in mind. The starting watts reach 4000 and run at 2500 so you can get the most use out of your generator for a total of 12 hours. The included volt guard averts overloading and keeps your connected devices and appliances safe from spikes in voltage. The generator includes Champion support, which is a three-year limited warranty with complimentary technical support for life.
This portable inverter generator is whisper-quiet, EPA III and CARB compliant, and delivers clean power for use with even the most sensitive electronics and modern devices. There are two three-prong 120-volt outlets and it even includes a 5-volt USB port for extra charging and power. The fuel shutoff preserves the lifetime of the generator by ensuring every last drop of the remaining fuel in the carburetor is utilized prior to shutting down.
Briggs & Stratton 30545 P3000 PowerSmart Series Portable 3000-Watt Inverter Generator with (4) 120-Volt AC Outlets and (1) 12-Volt DC Outlet
This 3000-watt Briggs & Stratton inverter generator has a run time of 10 hours on a 1/4 load. It delivers instantaneous, clean power that keeps electronics and appliances running in the case of a power outage or if taken on a camping trip to power an RV. It is significantly quieter than outdated camping generators and includes four household outlets, a 12-volt 30-amp locking outlet, and even a USB port. This product comes with a two-year limited warranty but unfortunately, it cannot be shipped to the state of California.
This 3000-watt portable generator with inverter by Honda is very quiet, efficient with its fuel usage, and produces clean power to charge and keep sustained energy traveling to each of your devices and appliances. The power is long-lasting, and capable of running for up to 20 consecutive hours from a single tank. The starting watts on this converter are 3000 and running watts are at 2800.
With 4550 starting watts and 4650 running watts, this Firman portable generator delivers 14 hours of power via a five-gallon tank with a combined fuel gauge. The muffler is very quiet, and the spark arrester is USDA Forest Service approved. The recoil start makes it reliable and you have several different outlets to choose from. Encompassed within this purchase are the accessories, which include shipping bracket wrenches, oil, a spark plug wrench, a funnel, and a manual to guide you along the way.
Our 2020 3000-Watt Generator Buying Guide
- Know Your Wattage Needs – Each appliance will let you know how many amps it needs to run. Convert your amps to watts to determine your wattage needs and be sure to stay within the limit of your generator to avoid any overloading.
- Determine Your Runtime Needs – Will your generator only need to run a few hours at a time at full capacity or will you be conserving its power and letting it run steadily, providing sustained power for a longer period of time? Consider your needs and choose a generator that will fulfill them.
- Decide What Type of Generator You Prefer – A portable generator is an excellent option for mobility. It runs on gasoline and must be stored safely. Portable generators may be used anywhere, so long as they are 20-feet from any kind of structure. It can never run in an enclosed space. Inverter generators are a bit more complicated and generally cost more as well. They are a much quieter unit and run with more efficiency for lower emission production.
- Determine What You Will Use Your Generator For – Will you be going out camping or taking your motor home out for an adventure? Your 3000-watt generator will be able to power your air conditioning unit. These units are also great little companions for tailgating, outdoor celebrations, and are safe enough to use with sensitive electronics like cell phones and laptops.
- Become Acquainted with Your Product – New products can be exciting to try out but before launching into the use of your new 3000-watt generator, read through the owner’s manual. Become familiar with the look and feel of your generator and walk through each step of use slowly to know it intimately. In the case of a complete blackout, knowing your unit will help you remain calm and get your power back more quickly.
- What appliances will run on a 3000-watt generator? A 3000-watt generator has a lot of power that can run a variety of appliances, starting from lower wattage requiring items like light bulbs, moving into smaller items like coffee makers and microwave ovens, into bigger items like washers (not dryers – those require significantly more power), and finally into furnace fans or even space heaters. You will easily be able to use your laptop, DVD player, small T.V., and cell phones.
- How long will a 3000-watt Generator run on a tank of gas? This is dependent on the load; if you are running all of your appliances, you may work through your full tank more quickly. However, if you are being conservative with the use of your generator, you will find it lasts longer. A full tank of gas on a 3000-watt generator is capable of running for 7.5 hours on the lower end and up to 20 hours on the higher end, depending on the model and load.
- How many appliances will a 3000-watt generator run? Several; however, the exact amount will have to be calculated carefully. Take a look at the labels of your appliances and determine how many amps are required to run it. Convert those amps to watts and add up how many watts each of your appliances will require. This will give you a solid idea of exactly which appliances you will be able to run on your 3000-watt generator when the time to use it comes.
As you now know, 3000-watt generators are handy little pieces of equipment that come in different sizes, with different features, and can serve several different purposes. You can make it your trusted companion for regular camping trips, for recreational purposes outdoors, tailgating, or as a go-to for emergency use should mother nature or a power outage catch you off guard. These types of generators are even used on job sites where electricity has not been incorporated yet.
Safe use of your portable generator should continue to stay at the forefront of your mind. Review your owner’s manual, keep your fuel tank from overflowing, and always be sure to store any extra fuel safely. Make sure your generator is always properly grounded prior to use and keep several feet of clearance on every side of your generator to protect your friends, pets, and loved ones. Keep a regular maintenance schedule and inspect your generator; if it is in need of repair, take it to an authorized dealer right away.
While considering which model to purchase, be thorough with listing what you will be using it for. If you are powering a refrigerator, what kinds of foods will you be needing to cook? Will you require an electric skillet, a microwave, or toaster oven? Know what your needs are so that you do not find yourself in a difficult position having overloaded your generator. Reserve power for the most essential appliances and electronics and if you are not using something, turn it off and unplug it. Some of these inverter generators come with a hefty price tag and if you are being budget conscious, you do have some more affordable options available to try out. You may also want to consider buying two of the lower-priced generator models and doubling your output to keep the benefits of running power – wherever you are.